Friday, 10 June 2011

The Rosary As You’ve Never Known It

The Rosary As You’ve Never Known It

I’ve always been a reluctant rosary person. I understand the value of the rosary. I can give intellectual assent to its importance. But I just find it boring. I’ve tried, I’ve prayed and I’ve given up with some regularity. I’ve regretted this struggle because I want to like the rosary, but I just don’t.

My appreciation for the rosary took a giant leap forward when I listened to The Rosary Project: A Celebration of Prayer and Song by Chris Padgett. The audio presentation (2 CDs) contains all four sets of mysteries, intertwined with original songs by Padgett. Nothing boring here! In fact, each set of mysteries took on new meaning as I listened to the songs, which illuminate various events commemorated in the prayers. Short scripture meditations along with the music focused my attention and touched my heart.

Padgett prays along with a group of young people. If it is possible to hear love, that’s what I heard in their prayers. I’ve tried hard to understand the rosary, but The Rosary Project helped me to love the rosary. And by focusing my attention on events in the life of Christ, it helped me love him a little more. Here’s a little sample of this recording:

Have you ever struggled with this devotion? How have you learned to love the rosary? What helped turn that light on in your mind and heart?

******
Featured Photo: Chris Padgett composing at the piano.

Louise Paré has spent the last 37 years in Catholic publishing and is currently the Director of Product Development for Servant Books. She works from her home in Michigan, where she is an avid Detroit Tigers fan. blog comments powered by

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment