Well, it would appear Congress is swooping in and “saving the day” at the 11th hour. Yippee!
Tired as I am of feeling like a pawn in a game being played by rich, out-of-touch white men, I nevertheless was compelled this morning to read an installation of the “Dating God” blog by Daniel Horan, O.F.M., regarding the debt ceiling and social justice. I’m glad I read it!
Horan offers some powerful, timely insight into a Christian interpretaion of the way our nation manages its money. Here’s a sample to whet your appetite:
“As Christians, we have a particularly explicit mandate to speak up about matters and in times like these. The Gospel makes it very, very clear what we are to do in following God and in living in right relationship with one another. Jesus had nothing to say about abortion (something practiced in his time in Hellenistic and other contemporaneous cultures), nor did he say anything about “one’s right to bear arms” (another ‘biggy’ among self-described “conservative Christians” in this country), but Jesus did have a lot to say about how the poor were to be treated. In fact, the Gospel of Matthew ends with perhaps the most famous and most overt account of Jesus’s teaching on the matter, leading me to ask where do you and I stand: among the sheep or the goats? (Check out Matthew 25 if you don’t know what I mean).”
For more of Brother Horan’s Franciscan reflections, download the e-book “Franciscan Voices on 9/11.”
0 comments:
Post a Comment