Thursday, 16 June 2011

A Mother’s Prayer

A Mother’s Prayer

She has your husband’s eyes. She looks just like her big sister. He has your personality. It’s that last one that always trips me up a little bit. It’s true. My son, Alex, is just like me in terms of personality–shy, hesitant, a worrier. I hate that he inherited those things from me.

I saw it again just the other morning when I dropped him off for baseball camp. We both walked to the shelter by the fields where all the attendees were gathered. He craned his neck to find his friend that was attending the camp with him. Unable to find him, he turned to me and gave me a nervous, half smile. I know the smile well. It’s a smile that says, “I don’t want you to worry, Mom.” But I know what he’s really feeling. He fussed with his baseball cap, stood on his tiptoes to look again for his friend and scanned the tables for another familiar face.

I hate these moments as a mom. Those moments when there’s nothing you can do to change things or to make it all better.  Those moments when you just have to stand back and watch. Feeling helpless, I did what comes naturally at times like this. I said a prayer—for him and for me. I prayed that he’d overcome his fear. I prayed that he’d make some new friends. I prayed that he’d be open to the fun experience this camp presented. And I prayed that he’d allow others to see what a great kid he is.

As I ended my prayer, his friend came bounding over to him. Alex burst into a smile that lit up his face. He turned and waved goodbye to me before running off to join the group. And again I prayed. This time in thanksgiving. I guess sometimes prayers are answered in ordinary, everyday ways.

By day, Susan Hines-Brigger is the assistant managing editor of St. Anthony Messenger, By night, she and her husband, Mark, are the caretakers and social directors for their four kids: Maddie, Alex, Riley and Kacey. blog comments powered by

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment